FindmypastLocation:- Dundee Closing Date:- Sunday 6th October 2019
Findmypast are looking for an experienced technology leader to accelerate product engineering for the company. Reporting to the CTO, the VP Engineering is responsible for creating an engineering team to execute compelling products for our users. You will also work with leaders around the business to develop technology, product and company vision and strategy.
The role includes aspects of start-ups and scaled engineering environments. Our existing business is designed for scale, searching and linking over 10 billion historical records. 18 million users have registered with our products and services around the world, which include Findmypast, Genes Reunited, and the British Newspaper Archive.
We’re also inventing new customer experiences, underpinned by React.js while building out a platform of microservices with Node.js. We’re a lean and agile environment, working in small cross-functional teams to solve challenging business problems. We employ modern discovery and experimentation practices, pair programming, continuous integration and deployment, a DevOps culture, and learning guilds. There is a real opportunity to make your mark.
Realise the product vision through excellence in engineering execution. This includes establishing and evolving working methodologies and processes, identifying the bottlenecks and solving them, and using measurement and experimentation to improve delivery practices.
Build a high-impact engineering organisation across our locations in Dundee and London. Lead all aspects of people management for engineering employees including talent recruitment, managing a team of engineering leaders, coaching, and evolving towards a lean, outcome-oriented engineering culture.
In partnership with the CTO and technology leadership team, develop the technical vision and strategy. Maintain a technical roadmap that will continue to innovate from a technical standpoint. Ensure products and systems are developed within an overall architectural blueprint which accommodates regular innovation and evolution.
Serve on the Findmypast leadership team to develop company and product strategy. Ensure business and technology strategy are aligned, and effectively communicate decisions and direction at all levels of the company.
- Track record of scaling product delivery in a commercial environment, and developing an engineering culture capable of speed, agility, and deep technology development
- Consumer experience and strong product intuition and passion, enjoy engaging on product plans
- Able to educate on lean principles and flow for getting work done
- Energetic, collaborative, an excellent communicator who thrives in a fast-paced, growth environment that embraces agile and experimentation-driven development
- Have a strong network, able to attract and excite great talent
- Interest in machine learning, big data and search technologies a plus
- Role is based in our tech hub in Dundee, with frequent travel to our Shoreditch office in London
We’re passionate about making FMP a great place to work and setting people up to succeed. Benefits include:
- Life Assurance
- Health cash plan
- Dental cash plan
- 30 Days Holiday + 4 Bank Holidays
- Corporate gym discounts
- Cycle to work
- Season travel tickets
- Monthly Company Lunch
- Fully stocked kitchen and fresh fruit
- Regular Social Events
- Subscription to Findmypast website