Senior Data Engineer
FindmypastLocation:- Dundee Closing Date:- Sunday 23rd June 2019
We are setting out to build a data platform that will serve multiple functions within the business. On one side we need to be able to publish new historical records and newspapers with regular and increasing throughput. On another the platform needs to serve the needs of our Machine Learning team to realise new value for the business. The role is varied and you will be working alongside our Data Ingest Manager between Databases, Systems, and Software Development and also get stuck into some system administrative tasks. You will collaborate closely with other Engineers and become a valued member of an autonomous, cross-functional team.You will take operational responsibility for the services that are owned by your team and buy into a DevOps culture and work in an environment that supports your individual growth through a detailed progression framework, daily learning hour, engineering guilds and attending conferences.
Things we believe in:
- Full stack engineering, working in collaborative cross–functional teams alongside product members.
- Continuous improvement and learning – we have a self-directed daily learning hour, mentorship, and engineering guilds.
- Engineering practices like pair programming, TDD, continuous integration & deployment, small and regular commits to master.
- A lean-agile environment, DevOps culture and flat hierarchies.
What We’re Looking For:
- Experience with data platform technologies such as hadoop, spark, storm, kafka, flink.
- Experience using SQL.
- Experience of database administration.
- Comfortable working from the terminal in Linux/Unix.
- Good knowledge of a few programming languages (e.g. Python, Java, Ruby, Perl etc.).
- A hands-on approach to getting stuff done.
Desirable skills and experience:
- Docker experience.
- Kubernetes experience.
- Focus on quality, with testing experience and a willingness to pair collaboratively.
We’re passionate about making Findmypast a great place to work and setting people up to succeed. Benefits include:
- Life Assurance
- Health cash plan
- Dental cash plan
- 30 Days Holiday + 4 Bank Holidays
- Corporate gym discounts
- Cycle to work
- Season travel tickets
- Monthly Company Lunch
- Full stocked kitchen and fresh fruit
- Regular Social Events
- Subscription to Findmypast website