Senior Conservator (Digitisation Project)
FindmypastLocation:- Fareham Closing Date:- Sunday 24th November 2019
The Senior Conservator will have overall responsibility for maintaining standards of document preparation and conservation of the collection. They will implement, and revise where necessary, the treatment plan for the volumes and associated records and support the Onsite Project Manager in recruiting conservation team members. They will provide ongoing training and support for the conservation and scanning team.
The role will oversee the work of a dedicated team of conservators and conservation technicians responsible for assessing and preparing records for digitisation, working closely with the Onsite Project Manager to deliver the project. They will be the liaison between the The National Archives’ conservation staff and Findmypast.
The Senior Conservator will facilitate the smooth running of these projects to ensure timely delivery while upholding the professional reputation of Findmypast and adhering to the Institute of Conservation’s Code of Ethics.
A good understanding of paper conservation processes for digitisation and knowledge of current conservation practice and ethical standards is vital. They will provide support to the Onsite Project Manager to ensure that the team is functioning smoothly.
They will devise the strategy and parameters for preparation of the documents and will advise on necessary appropriate conservation treatments.
They will have strong leadership and organisational skills with the ability to plan and prioritise work while under pressure in order to meet strict deadlines and targets. With the need for cross-team working, you will also have strong verbal and written communication skills.
Please note that this is a Fixed Term Contract for 12 months.
Role and Essential Responsibilities:
- Designing the treatments for the project, setting the parameters, and implementing them within the relevant teams
- Provision of training and support to the conservation team and scanning operators
- Overseeing and undertaking a continual process of Quality Assurance checks on all members of the team’s practical work.
- Liaison with The National Archives’ conservation team
- Ensuring correct decisions regarding treatments and materials are being made within the context of digitisation while adhering to the ICON code of ethics and professional standards
- Keeping organised records and maintain project documentation
- Use of initiative to anticipate and solve challenges
- Provision of ongoing practical assistance to the scanning team where required
- Working closely with other teams involved in the digitisation to communicate technical information regarding document condition, document handling, and workflow to internal colleagues and external partners
Benefits vary by location.
We’re passionate about making FMP a great place to work and setting people up to succeed. Benefits include:
- 26 days holidays (excluding UK bank holidays)
- Pension contribution match
- Health and dental cash plan
- Season travel tickets
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave
- Access to learning and training opportunities, including going to conferences around the world
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Gym membership discounts
- Cycle to work scheme
- Staff discounts
- Monthly company lunches
- Social Events
- Subscription to Findmypast website