Systems Engineer (Linux)
brightsolidLocation:- Aberdeen Closing Date:- Tuesday 31st October 2017
This role involves working with many diverse infrastructures, working with a wide variety of technologies including all major operating systems (predominantly RHEL (and Open Source variants), Ubuntu and Solaris Unix. VMware and Hyper-V virtualization and SAN storage are also in use so a knowledge of these areas will be an advantage. We provide fast, resilient, reliable environments with high levels of service availability. The role requires a flexible, can-do approach and offers the opportunity to learn on the job and to expand technical skills through training, study and certification.
The role of Systems Engineer sits within the Systems Engineering team but the successful candidate will work closely with the Network Operations, Customer Services and Designs teams to provide outstanding service to all of our customers ensuring their platforms hosted by brightsolid are running to the best of their capability.
- Installation, upgrade, support and maintenance of brightsolid and customer infrastructures hosted in our datacentre’s.
- Work with customers to architect and implement new services as per their requirements
- Provide sales support as and when required
- Working with the Solutions Design team to architect new infrastructures for customers
- Review, update and improve processes for delivery of hosting services
- Problem ownership/management
- Provide customer interface where necessary
- Working closely with customers learn and document their application stack, when required, to help us understand how infrastructure failures can impact their customers and where we can improve monitoring
- Employ preventative maintenance and proactive solutions wherever possible
- Ensure that all servers are patched with the latest updates to customer satisfaction
- Ensure that all servers are backed up to an appropriate level and that the backups are tested periodically
- Write and update technical documentation and knowledgebase
- Provide 2nd level support to both internal and external customers of the business
- Out of hours work will be required, often off-site.